12.09.2009

Time for ReFOCUS

Today, as I walked around the house feeling weak and lazy, I pondered....... Almost 20% of men my age are considered obese, and 25 to 35 percent of americans live sedentary lives.

This time of the year I start to have problems with motivation. I find it easier to stay in and watch a movie or just lay around and pity myself for feeling the way I do. Every year I have gotten progressivly better at dealing with my lul in progression but still havn't masterd the art of taking "quality time" off.

Old habbits die hard and I guess the old me still likes to come out and play every once and a while. For those of you who havn't known me for very long, I wasn't always the way I am today. Growing up I was overweight and extremely unmotivated. I did do the work my dad made us kids do like make wood, etc. Also I had a paper routed and would do outside suff with my brother Derek. Mostly though I liked to do inside things and had no athletic abilities to speak of.

At age 15 I was almost forced to get into shape as I took a very physical summer job as a concrete laboror. I wanted to quit for the first month but the money was too good. After I gratuated high school I did the only thing I learned to be good at...Work.

I grew up fast but also picked up some more bad habbits. Smoked, drank, and ate more fast food and junk food. Still I stayed relatively thin as the amount of "work" I was forced to do day in and day out. Winter months were the worst and as the days got shorter and colder so did our workload. Lay off time became very unproductive and I would slip into my old habbits of being lazy.

Every year since I was 18 I have been working on making this "lazy time" progressivly shorter. I still don't think I have it down to a perfect science but progression is the key word. To explain; this year has been my shortest down time since I started to be active, and percentage wise my weight gain is the lowest.

Like I said in the beginning of my post, I am feeling lazy today. But for me my mind never stops going. I know that down time is great for refocusing and I think it really works. I do have plans of going out and enjoying our wonderful wisconsin snowfall. Maybe a hike/snowshoe, or an MTB ride is in order. Either way, the only way to break the chain of "lazyness" is to get out and do somthing, Anything. So to anyone who reads this post that feels the same way that I do at times. It's ok as long as it is productive in other ways(refocus time), and you do something about working on the negative sides. Baby steps are better than no steps and I will be joining you this week as I get myself motivated to get off this couch.

DB

2 comments:

  1. No reason to feel lazy. I'm in the same boat as you (well, not in WI - I'm out in CO). But, remember that come next July when others are enjoying the mid season slump in motivation you'll be rockin... You have to take a step back to take 2 steps forward - there is no way around it. Enjoy the time off, get things done around the house, and when you actually start training you'll be ready to go 100%.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great write up dude!

    I'll let ya know when we get out on the skis again.

    Enjoy the break (for a little while ;)!
    -Ron

    ReplyDelete